Thursday

Martin Schoeller and ring flash




As this project is based in a studio location, I am able to experiment easily with a variety of different lighting styles. A technique that I am very interested in using is the ring flash and I have been experimenting in the studio with using this lighting style before my final shoot on 5x4. 



For this setup, I used the studio backdrop to create a plain white background, which shows the affects of the shadow that this type of flash creates - an outlined shadow of the shape of the subject. I didn't use any studio lights, such as flash heads, for this exercise, only the tungsten ceiling lights and the ring flash. The ring flash is designed to fit circularly around the lens on the camera, and gives a very even light over the subject, with minimal shadows. I am very pleased with the outcome of these practice shots and I am definitely certain that this is a technique that I want to use for my final outcomes.

2 comments:

  1. Martin Schoeller's portraits are not shot with a ring flash by the way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hum...sorry, but Martin doesn´t use ring flash to this portraits.

    ReplyDelete